Thursday, October 29, 2009

'Real' Weddings: Lesbian Gamer Geek Chic


I probably should have started doing this a few weeks ago leading up to the elections but what matters is that I am doing it now. Last year as many of you know, California voted for Prop. 8 which denies same sex couples the right to marry. I was not shocked by this at all but I was incredibly disappointed and frustrated that people I love and care about could not legally marry their significant others because the slight majority of the state want to perpetuate homophobic and heterosexist views on marriage. This election year in Maine and Washington, gay marriage rights and domestic partnership rights are on the ballot. I'm hoping that these states will grant these rights and privileges to its citizens because everyone deserves to be in a legally recognized union and this gives me hope that someday the federal government will someday allow this.
In honor of election day, I will be posting a few gay and lesbian weddings I have found over the past few weeks on various blogs and 'wedsites' I follow.
Today's 'real' wedding features a lovely femme couple in Australia featured on Offbeat Bride. Currently Australia does not recognize gay marriage but does grant same sex couples the same rights as unmarried heterosexual couples (i.e. taxation, social and health care, etc.) In August 2009, a same sex marriage bill was introduced to their federal government and will be decided upon at a later time. Back to the wedding. I'm a geek no secret about that, so I love how Anli and Laura incorporated their love for all things geekery with their wedding: the video games, the SF, and the manga. It was very tastefully done (believe I have seen some very tacky geek weddings, believe or not, notice the hint of sarcasm?) and I love the pink and ivory touches. Can I just say they both had the most amazing dresses? Anli's was even handmade! If Mr. Nee and I were having a BIG wedding this is the type of dress I would want. I hope Australia will pass this bill so that this couple's marriage and others will be legally recognized and one day I hope the US follows suit.

Just a quick note: Not much going on regarding the wedding planning front. Tomorrow, Mr. Nee will submitting the ceremony location application to Parks and Rec. We still haven't decided upon a photographer or caterer yet though we have some ideas of who/what we want. I bought my aubergine fabric for my dress. Squee! I picked up my Brownie pin from my mom last weekend and I ordered some lace from Ebay (for the cummerbund) which shares some details with my ring. Other than that, not much else going on. As soon as something significant happens, I will definitely let you all know.

No comments:

Post a Comment